Monday, April 28, 2014

Leader in Me ~ 7 Habits

Recently our school hosted a Community Leader in Me Day. We invited members of the community to participate in learning about the 7 Habits and witness our student leaders in action. What an amazing sight to see my sixth grade students taking such leadership roles! They took care of refreshments, directed people to rooms around the school, ushered people from groups that were too full to ones that needed more participants. And the list goes on and on... They are amazing leaders! Here are some pictures taken from that night.

Helping with refreshments

Teaching about being proactive

Talking with community members

Directing people to their rooms


To get my room ready for this event, I added a few new items to my walls and windows to freshen up the atmosphere. The theme for my room is "Begin With the End in Mind." I focused on knowing where we want to go and having a plan to get there. So, I used transportation to illustrate this point. For instance, my daughter, Jaime, drew a compass to remind us that we need to head in the right direction to achieve our goals. She also drew a car next to a phrase that says, "Small changes can make huge destination differences."






Jaime also made me a hot air balloon with the title, "Leaders Rise to the Top!"




I handed out puzzle pieces to students that I had cut out of a poster board. It says Begin With the End in Mind. Once students decorated their individual pieces, I assembled the puzzle and glued it together. Here is the final result.


Behind my 7 Habits Tree poster I added a map to remind us we need to know the direction we are headed and have a plan to get there. We added a three-dimensional touch with some tissue paper flowers.



Overall, we had a very successful event. I am definitely looking forward to seeing the continued student leadership in our school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment